Monday, January 31, 2011

A Fresh Graduate's Attempt to Write a Resume

I'll be graduating soon, and will start to look for job.
As a fresh graduate, writing a resume is one of the biggest challange.
I simply do not know how to start.
Thanks God for internet!
First step
I used google to seach resume writers sites.. And I found some good examples!
  1. http://www.resumewriters.com/ --> they have various examples, but none are directly for entry level/fresh graduate students..
  2. http://www.resumeedge.com/ --> they have the link at resumecenter section, which direct you to resume writing resources, and tips.. I used this site to discover several other websites which has resume examples.
  3. http://www.greatresumesfast.com/ --> they have various example of resumes, cover letters, and cv.
  4. actually there are many others site, just tried to google it...
Second Step
Start writing, be creative. Provide real facts about your self, your experience, and ofcourse choose the positive favts.

Third Step
After finishing the resume, I started to wonder, is my resume good? Luckily there are several websites providing a free resume review.. I send my resume to these two companies:
  1. http://www.asiaresumes.com/free-resume-review/ --> send the resume to cv@asiaresumes.com
  2. http://www.sandboxadvisors.com/ --> contact them through the link
Generally both companies pointed my resume's weaknesses. But the first company send me emails and refering my resume to their cv service.. I'm a bit confused there, shouldn't it be different??
In the other hand, I really appreciate the sandboxadvisor. The name of the person writing to me is Amit Puri. He said that my resume is simple, and pointed several bad points that can be improved generally, like the format, weak summary and objectives, also the importance of words used. Then the offer to write a resume based on my resume, and quote a certain price. As my intention was to get my resume reviewed, I told him that I'm trying to make my own resume, thanking him for his help. He replied nicely, and included several materials that might be useful. What i like is that they do not trying to sell their product, and they also provide me with several materials to prepare my resume.

Then I re-write my resume, and I just knew that my school, Nanyang Technological University, actually provide resume review in their Career and Attachment Office.. I felt so silly :)
I'm planing to drop by there sometime, and seek their advice on my resume.. Looking forward for it..!
Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,
Me.

1 comment:

  1. You have shared fantastic info for A Fresh Graduate's Attempt to Write a Resume. Its necessary things for all Graduate and job seeker people. After read this article, I think any person not need to consult any professional resume writes or resume services we can make our own resume.
    resume templates

    ReplyDelete